Friday, October 11, 2019

Lessons Germany and Austria Teach about the Sins of the Past

Ta-Nehisi Coates has written eloquently and persuasively about why America’s slaves helped build this nation and have paid a tragic price for their forced efforts, yet they have received nothing in return for their sweat, blood and tears.
So what does this have to do with Germany and Austria?
Having pleasure of just visiting these countries and speaking to those enlightened individuals who live in the two nations that were the setting of the Nazi’s holocaust, I have had my eyes opened. To cut to the chase, more than 70 years after the conclusion of WWII, the German people are still embarrassed and mortified about their involvement (or lack thereof) in the actions of Hitler and his diabolical concentration camps. So much so that, not once — but during three different grade levels — schools are focused on the history of Nazism that they allowed to occur.
I was told by our guide that when she was studying in America, she was amazed how many American flags were flown. This was startling to her because in Germany the flag is not ubiquitously waving. Patriotism to them means accepting their role in an unprecedented ethnic “cleansing” and making quite sure that future generations know the truth: the guilt lies within.
Contrast that to Austria — its neighbor. We Americans see “The Sound of Music” and assume that Austrians were like Captain Von Trapp: disgusted with the Nazi invasion of Austria. That couldn’t be further from the truth. In Austria, I was informed by numerous sources — the Holocaust is never taught in schools. In addition, Austria’s involvement with the Nazis and their blatant cooperation with Hitler is a mere footnote (if mentioned at all) in school. They want to have no ownership of what Austria did to all those murdered and persecuted in Austrian concentration camps like Mauthausen.
But the irony does not stop there. Due to the Marshall Plan and President Truman’s leadership, America and Allied forces spent millions reconstructing the bombed out cities and propping up German and Austrian economies. Who received the bulk of that money? Austria. Yes, the nation that denies involvement and claims they were victims of Hitler were one of the biggest receivers of US aid.
Another twist, Mauthausen concentration camp, which I visited, was considerably “sterilized” (save for pictures) by the Austrians, whereas the brutal truth of German camps like Dachau was evident to my eyes. Having seen both camps, the simple visual horror of both juxtaposed is visceral.
So what does this have to do with American slavery and the need for reparations?
I hate to state what I believe I have made obvious, but for the sake of clarity: we have for the most part acted as Austria. Jim Crow laws undermined for many blacks the purpose of the Civil Rights Acts in the 1960’s. I could go on and on: Red Lining, separate and unequal schools, institutional corporate bias — these are the legacy of slavery. Ghettoes, as I taught for years, were born of slavery, and drug dealing became one major avenue to economically escape poverty; only to lead to the mass incarceration of black men and the destruction of black family life.
Isn’t it about time, 400 years to be exact, since 1619 that we, who have prospered, take responsibility for the prosperity we have built as the “richest nation on earth?” One can debate the specifics of how and to what degree, but the why is not up for debate.
Unless, of course, like Austria, we claim that we were victims of the slave trade.

5 comments:

  1. Good day everyone reading this, My name is shielabeels parma and am from netherland I want to give a short testimony on how I was able to get a legit blank ATM card! As at two week I urgently needed money to pay my kids bills and get some stuffs for the home, I was having no were to get any help so I was online and I saw a post that Mr christopher is giving out blank ATM card, So I have to give them a try because I needed money urgently I copied her email address and sent her a personal message applying for the blank card, I got a reply from him and I sent them all what they asked me to my greatest surprise they really delivered the card to me in my door steps, I got the card and went straight to the nearest ATM machine to give a try and it really works, I made a lot of money from the card!! Now am doing great and living good life with my family please if you are out there in need of help urgently please contact Mr Christopher via email ccchackers002@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure a lot of us are still unaware of the recent development of the Blank ATM card.. An ATM card that can change your financial status within few days. With this Blank ATM card, you can withdraw between $5,000-$50,000 daily from any ATM machine in the world. There is no risk of getting caught by any form of security if you followed the instructions properly. The Blank ATM card is also sophisticated due to the fact that the card has its own security making your transaction very safe and untraceable. For more info contact Mr Rex Walker with the below E-mail: rexwalkerhacker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  3. @ATMCARD12G GET RICH WITH BLANK ATM CARD ...

    I want to testify about ATMCARD blank atm cards which can withdraw money from any atm machines around the world. I was very poor before and have no job. I saw so many testimony about how ATM CARD hackers send them the atm blank card and use it to collect money in any atm machine and become rich. I email them also and they sent me the blank atm card. I have use it to get 90,000 dollars. withdraw the maximum of 5,000 USD daily. ATMCARD12G is giving out the card just to help the poor. Hack and take money directly from any atm machine vault with the use of atm programmed card which runs in automatic mode.

    Email: atmcard12g@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  4. Hey Guys!!! I got my ATM blank card from Certified Hackers from ITALY. My blank ATM card can withdraw $1,000 to $150,000 daily i know its sounds too good to be true but i am sharing this info because i got this said blank ATM card after i was ripped off by two fake hackers from Nigeria; YES' Its true that scammers are out that ripped me off until i finally got hold of this hackers from ITALY that delivered the card to me after i paid the purchasing fee for the card, now i have more than enough to spend and planning on getting a home for myself soon. This card has been functioning for over a month now and everything seems like magic because I've enough for me & my 2 kids. Thanks to MAJOR SUCCOUR from ITALY that mailed the card to me within 72 hours, get in touch with this hacker to become rich & i bet you no gimmicks!! They are REAL.. Get one from them by reaching out to this email address: dr_williamthomas78@mail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you need an urgent loan today? Are you thinking of clearing debt or you have intentions of starting a new business? We offer loans at low interest of 3% for personal and business purposes! We also offer easy approval and fast transfer as guaranteed by our insurance company. Interested persons should contact Mr Carroll Walker with Email: infoloanfirm8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete