Wednesday, May 24, 2017

"The Bob Show-LIVE from the "Metaphor Cafe" musical guest Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band


This is part 1 of "The Bob Show" that I 'performed' for Teach for America candidates at National University.




They were a wonderful group. I cover some of the basics of teaching in the first 20 minutes with my theme: "Teaching and Inspiring are NOT Mutually Exclusive!" I open the show with Bruce Springsteen's song "We Take Care of Our Own" and ,eventually, on to how to speak TO students not AT them. It is funny, I hope, and also inspiring. 





Here I cover the real 'four standards' and I speak about the power of thinking. This is fundamental. But first, kids must know reading never, ever going out of style (it is not 'trending'); then speaking and listening is under emphasized (students and teachers both need this skill); the ability to write also is so critical to all students and teachers must put in the time to read their students' work carefully (even if it is a science lab report or a math problem that shows their work!). Finally, without the ability to think, creatively and logically--well, what's the point of education? We cannot memorize our way to a better, more knowledgeable citizenry. Teaching is about answering the questions HOW? and WHY? See Part 2 in the next exciting episode of "The Bob Show-LIVE" for more exciting thrills and classroom chills. BTW, I go to schools and speak to teachers and students--and, of course, my YA novel "Meetings at the Metaphor Cafe" has the fictional Mr. Buscotti's lessons seen through the eyes of four wonderful students.
Go to www.robertpacilio.net for more information.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Mr.P! Really enjoyed these 2 videos, brought back great memories of your freshmen English class which was always one of my favorites. I am back in the kid business as a coach at Paraclete High School in Lancaster after being away working at UCLA for 2 years. I'd love to see the rest of these if they are up. Really getting my brain going about how to connect with my kids. I hope all is well. Thanks again for all the inspiration through the years :)
    Kris Grazzini Sandberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris: Let me look and see if I have the rest of the videos. GREAT to here from you!..and that you are teaching. I am writing my fourth novel now; the first two were YA novels for students and the last one "The Restoration" was a literary fiction for adults as is the current one. You can learn more at www.robertpacilio.net Lancaster is near Palmdale right? Are you teaching English? my email is robertpacilio@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. tanie i modne zegarki internetowy , combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of tanie i modne panerai zegarki internetowy , the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

    ReplyDelete