Thursday, January 16, 2020

My Top Ten Mantras to Cope with all the Craziness (Hollywood Edition)

I’ve been thinking about how I am going to handle the stress of current ‘state of the union’. In my view, America is teetering on the brink of a Constitutional crisis, not to mention war, induced by the reckless, ignorant, and self-serving actions of one Donald Trump. You may or may not agree, but I still think there is something in this list for you.

So, I offer a few time-tested mantras to help my readers reach some peace –or at least give them a chant that they can repeat when things climb to a maddening zenith. Pick the one that best applies to your sensibilities.

#1. “I’m as mad as hell and I am not gonna take it anymore!” (screaming preferably out a window)

#2. “You want the truth? You can’t handle the truth!”( it’s a rhetorical question, really)

#3. “Let’s just look on the bright side of life.”(Sing it while hanging around waiting for something big to happen)

#4. “The problems of three little people don’t add up to a hill of beans in this crazy world.”(always good for use at airports)

#5. “Are you crying? Are you crying? There’s no crying in _________” (fill in the blank) (nothing like sports to reduce your level of anxiety)

#6. “Frankly, ____________, I don’t give a damn.” (another fill in the blank.) (this is one you can personalize)

#7. “Greed is good.”(to sooth an aching conscience)

#8. “Momma says, ‘Stupid is a stupid does.’ ”(Momma also said, there’d be days like this…there’d be days like this, my Momma said.)

#9. “Houston…we have a problem.”(a classic understatement that fits so many occasions)

And rounding out the top ten mantras…

#10. “Who ya gonna call…Trumpbusters.” (or whomever you may blame for the current state of affairs.)

I hope this list gives solace to my loyal readers. I know all of them may be needed so the best answer may be “All of the above.”

A postscript: for you film buffs, these mantras come from the following films: Network, A Few Good Men, Life of Brian, Casablanca, A League of Their Own, Gone with the Wind, Wall Street, Forrest Gump, Apollo 13, and Ghostbusters.

No comments:

Post a Comment