Friday, January 6, 2017

Gang: the quickest of movie grades--ever!

Gang: the quickest of movie grades--ever. [ Remember, I am a soft touch--always the easy grader.] No spoilers...and I been in a movie mood since Christmas.


"Fences" A+ Denzel and Viola embody Troy and Ruby. It is an Arthur Miller styled play as movie, except it is set in the segregated part of town. It explains so much about the affects of America's Original Sin and the men and woman who have endured it--then and now.

"La La Land": B Just didn't do it enough. The singing not good enough; the dancing not good enough. Gene Kelly, Nope. Ginger Rogers, nope. Loved the closing scene and all the Hollywood allusions. The opening scene is just really strange--not sure what it had to do with anything.





"Passengers" B I just loved Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt. And I love sci-fi (as opposed to fantasy), but you have to really push "reality" out of your mind. It is a film about what makes one happy and loved, and how this contrasted by the Earth these characters abandon.

"Rogue One" A It knocked me out. Fantastic. Can't wait to see again. I went home and immediately watched "Star Wars: A New Hope." I had to see how it connected.


"Arrival" A- Amy Adams rocks. The film's themes of communication and fear, as well as its time traveling plot makes it a movie one needs to see twice. A mind-bender.

That's the way I see it from my Metaphor Cafe...
Next up "Hidden Figures"...

No comments:

Post a Comment