Saturday, September 17, 2016

For Baseball Fans of the San Diego Padres: Top 5 Terrible Trades!

I am a huge fan. I love the underdog. I love the teams that have to scrape by. I love scrappy ballplayers. I love old school. I love players who wear stirrups socks like Mays and Mantle. I love hot dogs and peanuts and the crack of the bat. I hate the DH and I don't like inter-league play at all. I don't why we have to play 19 games in our division. I loved Tony Gwynn. Miss him. Met him on the field when I was teacher of the year and he signed a baseball for me.
But the Friars have been fried more often than not when it comes to trades.

The worst in order:

1. Acquiring Adrian Gonzales and then trading him...and then...
2. Acquiring Anthony Rizzo and then trading him...Combined these two and you can't hang a star.
3. Letting Dave Winfield become a free agent and a Yankee. You just don't do that when a player is at his peak and is born a Hall of Famer. Sorry...just can't happen.
4. Corey Kubler: Yep we had him Oh, he was last years Cy Young Award Pitcher for the Indians. That's okay we got Ryan Ludwick. Ouch
5. Trading Roberto Alomar, another Hall of Famer for McGriff and Tony Fernandez.

So that's 2 Hall of Famers; 1 Cy Young Winner; and 2 of the best hitters in baseball--one destined to be the third Hall of Famer (Gonzales) and the other (Rizzo) likely to break the CURSE OF THE CUBS !

Seriously! And the Padres wonder why fans are frustrated!

Okay, I admit Trevor Hoffman was a GREAT trade. So was the  Caminiti and Finley trade. Greg Vaughn and Kevin Brown signings were terrific, too. All that helped us become '98's Best Padre team ever. (not to mention cause Petco Park to be a ballot darling)...But '84 and '98--that's it.

I guess after the Cubs win the World Series, the Padres may be the next to be cursed.


p.s If you like my Blog, there is a "follow" button on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment